Monday, May 16, 2011

Mama' First Half...

Over two months ago Joel and I made the difficult decision that we would not "try" for any more biological children. This came with two exciting positive sides... first, we are officially going to adopt! and second, I would be able to start running again.
That next week I was talking to my cousin Teri who is always doing all these fun runs or bike rides and she somehow convinced me to do the Capital City Half-Marathon! I hadn't ran over 3 miles in almost a decade so it was a little scary to even think about but I thought "what a great way to kick this into gear"... and boy did it!
So I started on the journey to get myself into shape but I was still terrified as the day got a bit closer. As all the girls arrived on Saturday afternoon, so did my nerves! My aunt Pam, cousins Teri, Emily and Meghan all met at our house and we drove to the start line to get registered and get our shirts (which were super cute).
I was ready! We woke up to the sound of the pouring down rain before 6 am and we were to the start line ready and cold at 7... As the 1,200 people running the half started at the sound of the gun I was so excited. All the planning and training were going to pay off. I started out not knowing at all how I would do but I thought I would be between an 11 and 12 min average mile or around 2 hours and 30 or 45 minutes to complete the whole 13.1 miles.
Thank the lord for my Cousin Emily.... She was a great pace and I kept up with her for the first 9 miles.... we were about 3 minutes apart as I reached that last down hill stretch into the finish line and I am not really sure if my legs were actually moving under me, it was more of a glide closer to the clock that to my surprise what right at 2 hours and 17 minutes... I was ecstatic!
I ended up finishing at a 10:29 average mile pace and I couldn't be happier. I had a great time and can not wait for the next one...
Right before the race... hiding under the beautiful tree from the rain...
Coming into the finish line...
We did it!!!
And to make it all worth while I had my two favorite guys waiting and cheering for me at the finish line!

No comments: