Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lily goes to Bennett's New School!

With the new baby coming I have been attempting to find an activity that will be just Bennett's, something he can be excited about and he doesn't have to share with his little sister. When he turned three back in December he "graduated" from the birth to three program because he was deemed "developmentally average" (who would have ever thought "average" would be such a success... but after everything Bennett has been through it was quite a celebration). Sadly, with this celebration they also took away Bennett's preschool opportunities through the program. I was pretty excited to start looking for new preschools for Bennett but was suddenly very intimidated by all the choices and requirements.
All I have heard is that the Children's Museum is awesome and I knew it was on the top of our list especially because they are building a huge new facility near the Farmers Market. The preschool programs usually start in September but over the last couple months we have been going to a toddler group on Fridays at the museum in hopes that Bennett would love it and they would be open to letting him in this Spring... it is still up in the air but we are hopeful.
So yesterday we decided to head into the toddler group and see if our cousin Lily would like to go with us. Bennett woke up first thing and said "no breakfast mom, going to go get Lily for Bennett's NEW school!" He was nearly exploding with excitement as we arrived at the Children's Museum about a half hour early.
We went for a quick walk around the capital building in the sun and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was out!
The kids loved the toddler group and Teacher Betsy, who will hopefully be Bennett's teacher this coming September. They made a heart art project and ran out to play in the rest of the museum.  They had a blast running between all the rooms and I must admit I was getting pretty tuckered out trying to keep track of them and their changing ideas every 5 seconds.
Showing off their heart art projects!
 They LOVED the water table station
It wasn't difficult to wrangle them once I promised ice cream for lunch! We sat outside, enjoyed the sun and Lily and I enjoyed a cup of ice cream while Bennett shoveled his in so fast I could see him quickly discover the brain freeze... ouch
We headed home around 1 where I could tell we all were nearing exhaustion... and when I got them both to nap I felt like I had some magical super power. I sat down and quickly fell asleep... I will say that I did not want an early baby but I have an enormous respect for those ladies making it full term now, it is a whole new type of tired! It was a quiet house for 2 hours!
We spent the rest of the day playing outside and enjoying the "warm" weather... Thank you Lily for coming to play with us.
 When it ran out of batteries Lily quickly convinced B to push her :)
 Some well deserved hot chocolate!!

No comments: