Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Our Big Fish...

The day Bennett got his Trach out was so exciting, he was 10 months old and we had been through the most terrifying year of our lives. Minutes after the Dr. removed the trach, I turned to the Otolarangolodgy (ENT) surgeon and I asked if it was ok we did swim lessons. He understandably looked at me like "really?! that is what you are concerned about?!" but for some reason this was such an incredibly "normal" activity that I was dying to do with my son...
Maybe it was the summers at Lake Chelan or the pool that we went to as kids with my cousins in Richland but there is something truly "childish" about leaping into the water. When B was sick I prayed that someday he would have these memorable childhood moments just like any other average child... and for the last 4 weeks our big boy has become our Big Fish!
I enrolled him into swimming lessons, twice a week at the Briggs YMCA here in Tumwater. We ended up switching him into the class with his buddy Torin from school and from day one he was a bit nervous. He just loved playing with the toys in the pool. Today was the last day of class so I convinced Joel to get off work early and join us so that I could jump out of the pool and get some pictures. And in usual Bennett style he showed off for his Daddy... He was leaping off the pool ledge like a champ and even floating pretty well with the help of his swim noodle.
He will be leaping off the back of the boat at Lake Chelan like a crazy man before we know it!
(and P.S. Check out the Mom-kini... it was my attempt at finding a one piece that made me look like a respectable stay at home mom :)
Giving Dada some "knucks" before starting lessons...
Oh that goofy mama face somehow makes me feel more convincing...
B's first report card... well done kiddo!

No comments: